Have you ever slipped on your favorite pair of jeans, only to find they are a little too snug? Yeah, me too!! Or sometimes, and I prefer this one, you try on those old skinny jeans and they not only FIT, they are loose too! Woohoo! I have noticed that how my clothes fit can determine my mood and demeanor. I got to thinking about that in correlation to my relationship with God. Kind of like wearing "God Clothes."
What are God clothes? It is like our lifestyle according to Him. For example, when our earthly clothes fit tightly they constrict us and warn us it is time to lose some weight. In order to do that, we must change our lifestyle and habits and begin to eat right and exercise. Not always fun, but necessary to a healthy life. Now imagine your relationship with God as a set of clothes. If your "God clothes" are too tight, it is during that time which you are being convicted or led in some direction. Maybe God is calling you to a service, or maybe He is seeing that you are straying from Him and He is calling you back to the flock.
Whatever the reason your "God clothes" are serving as a reminder that you are not living as He desires you to. You may feel nervous about going to church or start making excuses about things you are doing. I am guilty of saying, "God won't mind if I skip this week. He knows how hard I have been working." Whenever I say that, I always feel the Holy Spirit reminding me its an honor to serve our Lord and at church is where He wants me to be.
My God clothes have been tight on several occasions. As my husband and I began the process of planning our wedding I found that I wanted our marriage to be based on a faith we could rely on. Neither of us had been active in churches but we knew this was how we wanted to start our lives together. We began Christian premarital counseling and ended up with not one but two classes. I believe we were led to do these classes so that our core in our marriage would be God. Even though we went, it was hard for us to find a church home. We spent the first 2 years of our marriage searching but when we visited a church it wouldn't feel right so we quit going. The Holy Spirit did not loosen up our "belt" so finally after 2 years of on again off again searching we found our church. I knew within the first few visits it was right because my "God clothes" were comfortable.I felt like everything fit. I had finally answered God's call. Of course, a wonderful thing about our God is that He never lets us settle for long. Soon my God clothes began growing tighter as we were convicted to join the church. I fought that for way to long and the relief I felt when we joined was amazing. Just like when those too tight jeans fit again, I felt a sense of relief.
If you feel your "God clothes" are no longer fitting he way you want I urge you to pray and seek the direction God is wanting you to go. It is amazing how full our lives are when are clothes fit just right!
Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God. We have done so not according to worldly wisdom but according to God's grace. 2 Corinthians 1:12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this post about God clothes!!!
ReplyDelete